There is no charge for attending Family Events at Amaravati retreat centre, however everyone is invited to make a donation towards running costs.
The whole of the Monastery is run on donations. All our costs – food, hot water, maintenance, insurance, administration etc have been met by the generous donations of previous camp participants. Any donations given will support the future running of the retreat centre and family events.
A Suggested Donation:
• June Weekend, Young Persons’ and Creative Retreat – £60 per adult and £30 per child
• Rainbows Weekend – £80 per adult and £40 per child
• Family Camp – £180 per adult and £90 per child for Family Camp
These figures have been calculated according to average running costs of the retreat centre.
Cheques should be made out to The English Sangha Trust LTD, the charitable body responsible for the upkeep of the monastery. Payment can be made by cheque, cash or credit card towards the end of the retreat.
Any donations are anonymous and entirely voluntary, families are invited to give whatever they are able to offer.
It is hoped that this spirit of generosity will enable the retreat centre to continue to provide facilities for teaching and practice into the future.
Gift Aid Scheme
As a charity, the retreat centre can benefit considerably from the Gift Aid scheme. This enables the EST to claim up to 25 pence for every £1 donated by United Kingdom taxpayers. More details are provided at the end of retreats.
What to bring
- Sheets and pillowcases if staying indoors. The retreat centre provides pillows, duvets and blankets.
- When camping please bring all your own bedding and equipment.
- Towels and toiletries.
- Warm and waterproof clothing, even in summer. Note the retreat centre does not provide general laundry facilities, though provision is made for emergencies and those with very young children.
- Any prescription medicines you use (facilities are available for safe keeping of medicines) or other remedies. Please bring your Epipens if you have to carry one.
- Any special foods and supplements you need which cannot be provided by the kitchen (e.g. for very restricted diets or medical conditions). See the kitchen information for details.
For information about accommodation and the Retreat Centre see the accommodation page
For information about catering arrangements and what is asked of participants in terms of housekeeping duties see the kitchen and housekeeping page
Our child protection policy is available on the child protection pages
Most Family Events book up quickly and have a waiting list. Late cancellations can sadly lead to precious places being unfilled, since families on the waiting list often make other arrangements. This means that we lose income, but importantly, that sometimes families who would have liked to participate cannot be given a place.
Cancellations can be made by telephone or email to the Bookings Coordinator. Please note that cancellations can only be accepted from the family named on the booking form.
In order to avoid cancellation please ensure that you are clear about your dates before you book.
Amaravati Family Events reserves the right to cancel any bookings that are deemed unsuitable or inappropriate.